Monday, January 19, 2009

Ruining My Respect

So the Steelers are going to try and become the first franchise to get a Super Bowl ring for the other hand.

I hope they fail miserably.

I'm sure your first reaction to that statement is one of two things:

1.) I'm a Cardinals supporter who is just jealous of all the Steelers success
2.) Since I'm from Dallas, I can't stand the Steelers getting a 6th ring before the Cowboys do.


Wrong on both accounts.

I think the Steelers are THE best run franchise in the NFL. They make sound decisio
ns and they stick by them. There is a reason why the Steelers have only had 3 head coaches since 1970. The franchise takes it's time getting a new man and they make sure that it is a guy who fits in with the city and the Steelers way of playing football.

Have you noticed much of a difference between the Cowher Steelers and the Tomlin Steelers? The only thing I've seen are a few extra spread sets on offense. The defense is the same one because Tomlin knew enough not to get rid of mainstay D-coordinator Dick Lebeau.


The locker room is close knit and while the Steelers don't always re-sign guys I think they shoul
d, the team also gets rid of idiots (Plaxico Burress) or possible team dividers (Joey Porter) no matter how talented the player is.

The Steelers are everything I would want my hometown franchise to be: stable, honest, compromising if it's for the better of the team, and true to personality of the city. So how could I hate this franchise?


In a sentence: the really loud, obnoxious, paranoid, towel waving, solipsistic fans.

Congratulations Steelers fans, you've ruined a perfectly wonderful NFL franchise for me due to you insistence to bring all things Steelers right into my face. I have no choice but to shun you guys. Sorry, YOUZ GUYS.

First of all, let's get one thing out of the way. There are only so many times I can hear the term "Steeler Nation,"much like the Tomohawk Chop tune of the 90's. It seems every team
needs to use this term at some point, but the three biggest culprits are the Red Sox, Raiders, and Steelers. I think the Raiders started it, so they can use it. I have no proof of this, but Raider Nation was the first time I heard this term, so to me it's the truth.

I'm sure the Steeler Nation is in reference to all of the Steelers fans that "travel" to other stadiums. Okay, if you're a Steelers fan from Pennsylvania of surrounding area and you came out to a visiting stadium to support your team, congrats. You should enjoy your right to support the away team hopefully without having beer thrown at you.

I'm guessing, however, that the vast majority of Steelers fans that populate opposing stadiums are fans who live in this new city because they had to escape the burgh that indeed a pit. If you are no longer in the Pittsburgh area and haven't been for a while (or ever), time move on.

Now l
et's talk about the towels. It's a fun bit that is a staple of Heinz Field and it does look neat when everyone in the stadium is waving them. You don't need to bring the thing into a sports bar. It's not the same atmosphere and all you're doing is blocking out the television from other people. This isn't your personal bar so sit down, eat your greasy chicken wings and dream of the -13 degrees you could be in right now.

Finally, is it that hard to be gracious? You're lucky enough to support a great franchise. Please be gracious enough to talk about football without sounding
like a paranoid jackass who is angry that people don't recognize that Pittsburgh invented defense and running the football.

Want some examples? Here's two posts from ESPN this morning:

1.
morongo valley, calif.: I HAVE BEEN A STEELER FAN SNICE 1971 AND EVERY TIME I TALK TO ANY ONE ABOUT THE STEELER'S,THEY DON'T LIKE THEM BUT THEY ALWAYS SHINE AND PROVE THEM WRONG SO WHY IS THAT? I LOVE THAT BLACK AND GOLD TEAM AND I SAY "GO STEELERS".

Please don't type in all caps. Part of the joy of not talking to you is that I don't have to hear your obnoxious voice. Don't yell in writing. And move back east if you don't like the teams in California. Are you even from Pittsburgh?

2.
Joe (PA): Paul, everyone disrespected the Steelers at the beginning of the season. Remember when the Browns became the hip pick to win the AFC North after a lucky season? Remember when the line would never hold up? Remember when Willie Parker would never be the same? Remember when the offense was terrible?

First of all, Joe PA is a funny handle for someone from Pennsylvania. Secondly, how snotty are you to think that just because the Steelers aren't picked every year to win the Super Bowl, the team is being disrespected? Go check the betting lines at the beginning of the year. Steelers were probably a top team to bet on.

These are just a few examples of how Pittsburgh fans have ruined the Steelers for me. It is possible to be a passionate fan, but to actually have some manners. Try it sometime, you might have more friends that aren't your cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SportsFanLive.com